PLEASE READ ME FIRST
2012-2013 KHSJA Contest
This is your email “packet” for the materials you need to enter the 2012-2013 newspaper, yearbook and broadcast contest sponsored by the Kentucky High School Journalism Association. In the past, we mailed this information but postage costs and the amount of time involved have directed us now to send it via email.
This email “packet” contains the contest materials you need.
- A contest letter. Please read this. It gives a brief, general overview. This is particularly helpful if you are new to our contest.
- The contest rules. No changes from last year – except deadlines are different. They are spelled out here. Entries are due to us in our Frankfort office on a staggered basis.
- A description of the contest categories for the newspaper competition.
- A description of the contest categories for the yearbook competition.
- A description of the contest categories for the broadcast competition (TV and radio.)
- The yearbook registration form. Tells us in which categories you want your book judged. Many schools enter all 8 categories. It costs the same to enter some categories or all categories in yearbook.
- The newspaper registration form. Tells us which categories you are entering and how many entries are in each.
- The broadcast registration form. Tells us which categories you are entering and how many entries are in each.
- Name List. Student penmanship can be tricky. Therefore, we ask you to write out the names of your students entering the contest. Feel free to copy the format and type on your computer. That’s even better. This cuts down on misspelled names on winners’ certificates. Send this in with your entries.
- Entry blanks for newspaper and broadcast. It’s really, really important that you use the prepared entry blanks and that they be well secured to entries. Tape works best on DVD cases and staples work best on newspaper entries. We have officially banned paperclips. They always fall off during the entry sorting process.
- Please tell students which Class (based on your school enrollment) your school participates in. The rest of the entry blank is self-explanatory.
- Speaking of Class (based on your school enrollment), if more than one teacher at your school is entering the contest, please make sure all entries are entered in the same Class. This is very important for the judging process. If we receive entries from the same school that are entered in different Classes, all entries from that school will be judged in the highest Class entered.
- Although not required, it’s VERY much appreciated when newspaper contest entries are pre-sorted at your school; e.g. group all Category 1 entries together, all Category 2s together, etc. Really assists in the sorting process in preparation for judging. Thanks.